Book Buyback Info
It is a priority of the Bookstore to shelve as many used books as possible to assist with lowering the textbooks costs for students. The South Central College Bookstore offers a book buyback at the end of each semester in an effort to obtain books for the following semester. Listed are questions and answers regarding buyback.
When does Buyback occur?
Buyback occurs during finals week of each semester. Summer buyback dates will be determined after evaluation of summer course offerings.
What determines if my book will be bought back?
There are many factors that determine whether the Bookstore can purchase your textbook. They are as follows:
1) An instructor has chosen the book for the upcoming semester and the book is the most current edition.
2) The Bookstore has a need for additional inventory to fill an instructor request. If the Bookstore does not have a need for a particular book, a used book vendor may purchase the book for use at another college store. They will pay according to the current market value if one exists. Old editions usually have zero value.
3) The condition of the books such as excessive highlighting, torn/missing pages, permanent writing, missing pieces (CD's, access codes, etc.) can affect the value. Study guides and workbooks must be clean.
4) An instructor or department may specify buyback criteria on any given book.
What dollar amount will be paid?
Different factors determine the price paid for a book:
1) If the Bookstore is buying a book and it is a current edition, 50% of NEW selling price will be paid.
2) If the bookstore is buying a book and its future use is unknown, the price is dependent on the market value and will range from 20% to 50% of the NEW selling price.
3) If the Bookstore has no need for a book, a used book vendor will pay the wholesale market value for the book, which ranges from 1% to 33% of the national retail price.
Does the bookstore guarantee all books will be bought back?
No. The bookstores goal is to buy as many books as possible from students. Unfortunately, some books may have zero value, or the quantities needed may be limited. The amount you may receive cannot be determined until you are at the buyback counter.
Remember, a books value may change as the buy progresses. Sell your books back as soon as possible.
The South Central College bookstore is unable to ship to PO Boxes. Please use a physical street address for your order, or select an on-campus locker pickup at checkout.